Energy Finance for Growth, 6th January 2015 in London, will feature two Harvard Business School case studies:
- TerraPower LLC > http://terrapower.com/ (link to HBS case).
- Carbon Engineering Ltd > http://carbonengineering.com/ (link to HBS case).
TerraPower aims to develop a sustainable and economic nuclear energy technology using:
- Next-generation safe, affordable, clean and secure technologies
- Advanced materials for more durable metallic fuels
- World-class leadership for dynamic reactor engineering and innovation
- Supercomputing for reliable and comprehensive modeling
Carbon Engineering is commercializing technology to capture carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere, which they will use to enable production of ultra-low carbon fuels.
Philanthropist and tech entrepreneur, Bill Gates, is an angel investor in both TerraPower and Carbon Engineering.
At TED2010, Gates unveiled his vision for the world’s energy future, describing the need for “miracles” to avoid planetary catastrophe and explaining why he’s backing a dramatically different type of nuclear reactor. The necessary goal? Zero carbon emissions globally by 2050.